Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Depression

I must have been really upset about reading Sunday's article about how some of the local lawmakers are planning to pass an amendment to the state constitution to ban gay marriages, as well as domestic partnerships and the like, since I pretty much spent yesterday doing nothing but moping around the house. I try to tell myself that I'm good person every day, but then people come and blame me for the downfall of everything in this country because I'm gay. Or whatever else. Sometimes it feels that I'm still in junior high and the other kids are teasing me for wearing glasses, not being athletic enough, being too "faggy," being a "brain," or name what other trangression against teenage manhood here, and the teachers and my parents say that it's all my fault and they just let the harassment continue. I know that that junior high and high school are in the past now and I ought to just "move on," but how can I do just that when people are still putting me down and saying that I don't deserve equal protection under the law? How can you move on when the discrimination continues? It may different players now (your state "representatives" instead of your follow high school classmates) but it's the same bullshit and emotional violence.

Say that I'm being silly, but I think I'm having a slight case of post-truamtic stress disorder afetr hearing this disturbing news. I'm pretty sure that more gay people will be having the same thing if this amendment is passed and becomes law. At least Governor Ed Rendell has spoken out against this, though I don't know if he'll keep that stance given that he'll be up for re-election this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maidy said...

I would try not to worry about it too much. I know that's easier said than done.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home