Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Christmas music

Every year I always end up buying a couple of Christmas records. But this year I told myself that I wasn't going to buy a Christmas CD; just download a few songs from iTunes and copy some songs from the CDs I already own and make my own Christmas CDs. So far I have resisted getting the 40th anniversary tribute of A Charlie Brown Christmas jazz CD, figuring the original soundtrack is still fine by me. But when I heard that there was a new Christmas album by folk singers the McGarrigle Sisters, Kate and Anna, called The McGarrigle Christmas Hour, I knew that I had to pick it up. It's a musical family affair, featuring guest artists Emmylou Harris, Beth Orton, and Kate's children Rufus and Martha Wainwright, among other family members. Being a fan of the McGarrigle Hour album, which was a similar family affair a few years back, as well as a fan of Rufus, I know I have to get this album. It's nice to hear Rufus sing the chestnut "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve," which he originaly did for a Gap commercial around 1998.

Also speaking of new Christmas music, dance-pop siren Jade Starling has recorded a new version of Wham's "Last Christmas," done in a old-school freestyle way. Very catchy. You can currently download it for free from her website.

Finally I've been on a mission to find one of the most bizarre Christmas records I've ever heard. "Zoot Zoot Zoot Here Comes Santa In His Space Suit" by Bruce Haack (best known for electronic-themed children's albums in the 60s and 70s) with vocals by Tiny Tim and done in a really cheesy disco fashion (which was not fashionable when it first came out in 1981), with Tim scooping out those high notes like there's no tomorrow. So over the top it's in the "so-bad-it's-good" category. Pure unintentional camp. I've been searching for the album it's from, Zoot Zoot Zoot, but without success. Appearently this is a rare and out-of-print record. If anyone has an MP3 of that song...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chris, if you find this mp3, please let us know. i'm desperately looking for it too!

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiny Tim's 'Zoot, Zoot, Zoot' song is being played this month on XM Radio channel 107. You can also find it on the CD 'A Novelty Christmas' by Dead Dog records. (www.deadog.com)

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home