Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Strangeways

This past Saturday night I spent half an hour at the Village Coffee House in Philly before heading over to the Bike Stop. While I was sitting there and drinking some coffee, I heard some tracks from Life's Too Good by the Sugarcubes and Strangeways, Here We Come by the Smiths. Hearing those songs took me back to late 80s college days when I was involved with the local college radio station. I remember liking that Sugarcubes record quite a bit at that time (with "Birthday" as its prime merchandise), but I wasn't that fond of that Smiths album, having much perfered The Queen Is Dead instead. I thought that Strangeways sounded sort of wimpy in comparison to Queen. But listening to "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" and "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" while sitting in that coffeehouse made me think that there were some good songs on that record, and I figured I ought to give this album a second chance. So I'll probably pick up a copy of this sometime in the next couple of weeks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to listen to "Last Night I Dreamy" ocver and over again after my BF broke-up with me. I agree that The Queen Is Dead is their best album. Strangeways was the end of the Smiths.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home