Friday, February 24, 2006

I'm thrown and overblown with bliss

Sorry for taking so long in between posts; I was feeling uninspired the past several days and I had some stomach cramps, but I'm feeling better and quite inspired now...

Last week I was in the King of Prussia Mall and noticed that their Sam Goody's store was going out of business and was selling their CDs 30%, so I picked up a copy of the reissue of Be Yourself Tonight by the Eurthymics. Part of the Eurthymics reissues series that came out this past November, Be Yourself Tonight was first released in 1985 and it showed a more diverse musical palette that showed them that they were far more than a one-note synth outfit. The first single from the album "Would I Lie To You?" has an assertive rock/R&B style which kicks the album off in grand style. There would be several hits from the album including the duet with Areatha Franklin "Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves" and the soulfull electronic "It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back)." This reissue contains six bonus tracks, including IMHO one of their best non-LP b-sides, "Grown Up Girls," which was on the flip side of the "There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)." I love this track; this should have been a single in my books.

Also this past Tuesday I went to the Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant in West Chester which had an "Gay Nite OUT' event there that evening, which I met several friends of mine there and had a good time. A bunch of gay people congregated in the front bar with a view of the historic West Chester intersection of High and Gay street. There's also a good observation point for the brewing process behind glass walls. I should also mention that the building that houses the bar and restaurant was a Woolworth's five and dime store in earlier days, retaining its original tin ceiling tiles when the place was renovated. This event was started last month and I heard it was a success; they'll be having their "Gay Nite OUT" gatherings every third Tuesday of the month.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brand New W said...

Was that not a single (There Must Be An Angel Playing With My Heart)? There is a video for it and everything.... ?

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home