Sunday, August 21, 2005

The title of this blog & Robert Davolt

An explaination how the title for this blog came about. I was reading Painfully Obvious by Robert Davolt and at one section he was talking about journalism for the leather press and community journalism and he started on how the Internet affected it with a hint of sarcasm:

"Now there is the Internet-- Man's highest achievement in communications. Twenty-eight million websites all screaming into the cosmic void: 'I EXIST!...and I have a cat.'"

When I began to think about starting a blog, I had my doubts considering that it was like everyone and their mother had already started one. So when I did start one, I was looking for a title that was tounge-in-cheek. I remember that particular passage and though that it would make a good title for my blog.

I enjoyed reading Robert's columns on Leatherpage.com. He had a colorful career as a writer, publisher, and humorist. Among his credentials he ran and edited Drummer magazine in its last couple of years. Robert passed away on May 16, 2005 from cancer. I had bought his book Painfully Obvious, which reprinted his columns from Leatherpage.com, from Giovanni's Room just a few weeks before his passing and I didn't realize it at the time. Anyhow his death was a loss to the leather community, and his writings are an inspiration to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home