Sunday, August 14, 2005

Lee Paris

I recently came across a tribute website on Lee Paris, who actively promoted new music in the Philadelphia area in the late 70's and 80's. He was a DJ on WXPN-FM with the radio show "Yesterday's Now Music Today." He was also the musical director of I-92 (WIFI-FM, now WXTU), which expirmented with a modern "Rock of the 80's" format during the spring and summer of 1983. He also ran clubs that featured new music, such as the East Side Club, and the Kennel Club, and he had a regular column in the South Street Star called "Lee Paris' Music Beat." He had a hyperactive personality but he was passionate about new music (known as "new wave" or "punk" at the time). Lee passed away in Janurary 1986, committing suicide by taking pills. Needless to say he was a legend. I never knew him personally, but I do appreciate what he was doing, since I was starting to get into new music during the mid-80's. I have fond memories of listening to I-92. Philly's current music scene sure could use someone like Lee Paris right now, with Philly commercial radio at its creative nadir at this moment!

http://www.heyheyhey.org/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMFG! Lee Paris! There is a name I haven't heard in an age!

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home