Thursday, March 29, 2007

Circuit City seeking slave labor

On Wednesday Circuit City announced that they're going to cut 3,400 jobs from their stores, mostly "better paid" workers, and replace them with lower-paid new employees as soon as possible. The workers that are laid off will get a severance package and the chance to reapply for their old jobs at lower pay after 10 weeks.

Speaking as someone who had a similar thing happen to me with a previous day job, I think that sucks. How can the Circuit City clerks make a living with meager wages? And no word on their multi-office executive staff, which I'm sure that they're "better paid" than the clerks they're letting go? I'm sure that those changes will lower the workplace morale and the service will go downhill. I don't think I'll be shopping there again sometime soon; who wants to encourage a company that uses Third World methods to pay their employees? If you believe that workers ought to get a living wage, don't patronize Circuit City until they reverse their decision.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that on the news. Don't they have balls! I would never shop there!

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home