Friday, May 26, 2006

She sells synth-pop by the seashore

I'm currently making a mix CD of early 80s synth-pop and new wave songs and more recent songs that feature that retro-sound (like Rihanna's "SOS" with its sample of Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love"), which I plan to listen to for my drive down to Ocean City, MD and Rehoboth Beach, DE this weekend. I guess that reason why I listen to that kind of music when I'm down there is that my family started to go down to Ocean City in 1982. (Before that we would go to the Jersey shore.) My parents were sharing a condo and we spent quite a bit of time down there that summer. I remember New Wave acts that were starting getting airplay on the Top 40 radio stations like Soft Cell and the Human League that summer. Also MTV was beginning and were giving a lot of Brit-wave pop acts exposure, which tended to be more colorful than a lot of the mainstream US rock bands at that time. The newness of both Ocean City and all the shiny new pop groups of 1982-3 were joined together in my mind. To me The Go-Go's were total beach music. And A Flock Of Seagulls are a no-brainer for that as well. So I cannot imagine not taking at least a few of my new wave CDs when I go to Rehoboth or OC.

Anyhow here's a list of songs from the top of my head that IMHO that no decent New Wave/beach mix-tape should be without. Most of these are from that time period of 1982-3:

A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
Kim WIlde - Kids In America
Human League - Don't You Want Me
Human League - Sound Of The Crowd
Duran Duran - Girls On Film (Night Version)
Duran Duran - Hold Back The Rain (12" Re-Mix)
Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know?
Duran Duran - The Reflex
The Flirts - Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)
The Go-Go's - Vacation
The Go-Go's - Tonight
The Go-Go's - You Thought
Toni Basil - Mickey
Depeche Mode - Get The Balance Right (Combination Mix)
Berlin - Sex (I'm A) (Extended Version)
Yaz - Don't Go
Yaz - Situation
Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough (Schizo Mix)
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
Josie Cotton - He Could Be The One
Josie Cotton - Johnny Are You Queer?
Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya
Missing Persons - Words
Berlin - Now It's My Turn
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin - Cool Places
Spandau Ballet - Chant No.1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On)
Spandau Ballet - To Cut A Long Story Short
Real Life - Send Me An Angel
Billy Idol - Catch My Fall (Remix Fix)
Soft Cell- Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go?
Soft Cell - Memorabilia
Antimotion - Obsession

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home