Friday, May 23, 2008

Baltimore Gay Bookstore closes

Earlier this month I went down to Baltimore to attend the COMMAND MC's 20th anniversary dinner (which was a blast). While I was down there I found out that the Lambda Rising bookstore there was closing its doors (they were having a 30% off sale on their books). I guess that they could no longer take the competition with the big-chain bookstores and the internet. Which is a shame really. (There are no plans to close the Lambda Rising bookstores in DC and Rehoboth Beach fortuneately.)

It seems like a lot of place I like to frequent are now closing or are in danger of closing. If it's not gay bookstores (I hope that Giovanni's Room here in Philly won't close their doors anytime soon), it's record stores (good-bye Tower Records, Spaceboy Music, etc.). And if it's not that, it's gay bars; Last week I heard that the Raven in New Hope have closed up, and just before the summer starts, talk about bad timing. Sometimes it feels the circles I go around in are under siege these days.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am guilty of buying gay books, what few I do read, used off of Amazon. Not too many gay books have been worth a look of late. The days of really good gay fiction have passed into mawkish coming out stories of glamorous gay boys in Martha's Vineyard or Gay Life in LA. Not too much happens in the way of good gay non-fiction.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home