Thursday, August 02, 2007

Elton Says Get Off The Net!

Legendary pop star Elton John has been known to throw an occasional shit-fit every now and then. His latest one was on the effect the internet was having on music:

“The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other, creating stuff."

“Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn’t bode well for long-term artistic vision."

“It’s just a means to an end."

“We’re talking about things that are going to change the world and change the way people listen to music and that’s not going to happen with people blogging on the internet.

“I mean, get out there — communicate."

"Hopefully the next movement in music will tear down the internet."

“Let’s get out in the streets and march and protest instead of sitting at home and blogging!"

Even though I personally have gotten to know people and make new friends through my blogging, I have to agree he does has a point. The interent is not a subsitute for human contact.

Elton admits that “I am the biggest technophobe of all time. I don’t have a mobile phone or an iPod or anything. I am such a Luddite when it comes to making music. All I can do is write at the piano.”

He suggested that "it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span--I’m sure, as far as music goes, it would be much more interesting than it is today.”

“In the early Seventies there were at least ten albums released every week that were fantastic."

“Now you’re lucky to find ten albums a year of that quality. And there are more albums released each week now than there were then.”

But I'd have to say that increasingly bad coporate radio and the demand that musicians to create music to be played on the guidelines of what those corporations want would be more to blame for the decline of music than the internet itself...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I still have human contact. The internet has given me more opportunities and I have met very nice people in person through it. I mean, pardon me if I sound bitchy here, but Elton John just writes songs for Disney Music and rearranges Candle In The Wind to serve as a memorial song for the Dead Blonde DeJour. A lot of his most interesting work has been behind him. Ever since he took off the drag and got into drugs in the mid to late 70's; he hasn't made a really good record since.

A lot of music is crap these days because it is all about promoting beautiful people with little talent to make the safest market friendly crap. I hardly think the internet is to blame for that.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home